Friday, October 23, 2015

A Reflection of Stars Hollow

I am a Gilmore Girls nerd. I have been since a very young age. It was what I watched almost every day after school for many, many years.
Gilmore Girls is the show I put on for noise when I am doing things around the house, because despite having seen the entire show probably about 5 times now, I never tire of it.

Recently, Matt and I bought a little fixer-upper in South Charleston, West Virginia. The second Matt saw the neighborhood and it's little dead end culdesac, he had to have it. Now that we have accomplished most of the major fixings that were needed, we are starting to branch out a little and get a good feel for the town.



Today walking around I realized that though not as tight-knit and insane, we have found our own little slice of Stars Hallow.
To start with, our neighbors are very nice, but not overly intrusive. When we moved in they told us what we needed to know about the trash and the home association rules. Many of them made a point to introduce themselves and help us when we had typical "new homeowner" issues.
Recently, our lovely neighbor Eleanor (whoisinher90's) came by. I invited her in, but seeing that we were making dinner she didn't want to intrude. She just wanted to give us the cream cheese brownies she had bid on for us at a woman's club baking event....yea you read that right.
These people are kind and helpful and they make us feel safe, but not watched.
That's just our little neighborhood.



Within walking distance there is a beautiful bridge that descends into the small town. At the end of it is convience store and a cafe, perfect distance for a little walk and snack!
A few streets over is D Street, a perfect heaven of diversity, old junk and food.
D Street has two antique stores, three consighment shops, two Vietmanese places, an old soda shop style resturant called Happy Days and a nerdy shop with cards and board games.
Off of D Street is the Native American Mound, surrounded by pretty trees. On this street there is a Japanese Resturant we LOVE, a Chinese buffet and am Asian Market.


Also on D Street there happens to be an old theatre where the WVIFF is hosted and my bank.
I promised Matt when we bought this house we would stay at least 5 years to justify it and then we would see what we wanted to do. I don't see this being too rough of a 5 years.
I'm pretty happy here in our little faux Stars Hollow.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.